Thursday, July 29, 2010

Figuring Things Out

Just finished my application for registering for the Foreign Service Officer Test. Yes, you read that right. Just the exam!!

Anyway, I guess I should start from the beginning in my quest for my purpose in life.

Going to work, day by day, doing the exact same thing over and over again can take a toll on a girl, especially when surrounded by people who either make you feel bad/stupid or the ones who make you want to bang your head on your desk. Yeah, that tedious.

I wasn't until I almost got ran over by a hippo coworker who desperately need to tattle talk to the manager when I realized... I'm in high school and I don't need this. I'm either too smart or know how to play dumb for this job and everyone knows it. And I'm just kinda done with it.

I thought about teaching and still considering it, but I really want to do it overseas for about a year. Never realized that since I'm dark complected, I may be at a disadvantage. Plus, being Filipino, most Asian countries and Saudi Arabia use Filipinos as domestic workers (read: maids, nannies, etc.) and/or sex slaves. I really don't want a parent look down on me just because I look like their maid or something. Sometimes your resume isn't all employers look at and that's frustrating.

I thought about law school again, but most of the lawyers I know are either unemployed or in different fields. I remember talking to this girl at a party and she told me she was an attorney, but now she makes soaps on etsy and she's happy. Another girl I met, I never knew she had her Juris Doctore, but is now in HR at an awesome public relations firm here in town. I also reconsidered family law if I did go to law school, but after seeing divorces happening to my closest friends, I still believe I shouldn't help break families up.

It wasn't until my friend came into town after a stint teaching in South Korea that I really should put my degree to use. She was telling me about the Foreign Service Officer Test she took before she left; so I looked into it. There was one area I was interested in: Public Diplomacy. It just seemed to call to me just from looking at it.

So here I am after going through that process. I'm not really expecting anything out of it, but if it happens, so be it.

Anyway, time for bed. Maybe a hippo won't hit me tomorrow.

Night.

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic entry. I love you, BFF ... Dodge the Hippo's!

    ReplyDelete